Saturday, November 16, 2013

A Childhood Memory Revisited

I was in my basement earlier today and stumbled upon one of my old bowling trophies while looking for something else. It's time to tell the story of how it was won.


I participated in a Saturday morning bowling league from ages 8-13. I still remember so many of the details, such as my final average for each year (102, 120, 136, 150, 152, 158) and that I rolled a 581 series one of those years to win the 'High Series' trophy for the overall season.

When I was 12 the powers that be decided to hold a stepladder tournament at the end of the year with those that finished in the top 5 in average on the season. This format was the same one being used on the Pro Bowlers Tour; each week ABC's 'Wide World of Sports' would show this tournament and crown the champion for that particular tournament.

I finished the 1979-80 season with the top average on the season, so this meant I held the #1 seed and would only bowl one game for the title. That was the good news; the bad news was the fact I had to sit and watch three games before getting my turn to compete.

The wait was excruciating. I was nervous when I arrived at the bowling center but by the time it was my turn to bowl, my knees were practically knocking together. Each bowler was allowed a few practice frames before starting the match. Getting loose helped my muscles but not my nerves, as I was chock full of anxiety by the time the championship match was scheduled to begin. There were 50 or so spectators and no other active bowlers within the bowling center during our match. I felt every bit in the spotlight. It was the first time I had ever been in such a situation in my life.

My opponent was Chuck Meyers. We would chat from time to time during the season and got along fine. There was zero animosity between us and we shook hands and exchanged pleasantries immediately before our match began. Chuck was my opponent on the scoreboard, but my real opponent was myself. I knew I could win. It was just a matter of whether or not I could mentally get myself together to do it.

I remember the first frame vividly. My first ball hit to the right of the pocket and I left the 1-2-4-7 pins standing for my second ball. Unfortunately my second ball ended up in the same spot as my first and there I was with a 6- mark on the scoreboard after one frame. Talk about an awful start!

Things started to look up from there however. Chuck had come from the '4' spot in the stepladder brackets and thus was on his fourth game of the day. His prior games had seen scores in the 170's and 180's but luckily for me, his hot streak cooled off. While Chuck was struggling, I managed to convert back to back spares and then struck in the fourth frame. After 8 frames I held a comfortable 18 pin lead.

Chuck converted a spare in the 9th and then it was my turn. I recall taking a deep breath and doing my best to block out any other noises around me. I was fortunate to throw a strike ball in that 9th frame and after Chuck missed a spare try in the 10th, I knew it was over. The final score saw me on top, 162-134.

When it was all over Chuck and I shook hands and he was sincere in sharing his congratulations for me. I remember being so relieved and so HAPPY. I held that trophy tight for the rest of the day and was on cloud nine for weeks after that match.

I have had countless happy moments in adulthood but I don't know that there's ever been anything to compare to the triumphs I felt in childhood. Those feelings of exuberance and excitement were so much different and so wonderful at that age. I don't know if it was that way for everyone, but it certainly was that way for me.

Those were incomparable feelings, the kind that can only come within the magic that is childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment