Saturday, November 9, 2013

A Ballgame, a Cemetery, and a Mental Beatdown

          1998 was an historic year in baseball. Two players launched an assault on the single season home run mark set by Roger Maris of 61 homers in (coincidentally) 1961.
          By the time May arrived on the calendar one of those two players was well ahead of the pace needed to break the esteemed record. His name was Mark McGwire and he played for the St. Louis Cardinals. Fans across the country packed the stadium when McGwire and his Redbirds played, many of whom wanted to say they were there during one of the games McGwire crushed one of the homers on his way to 61+ and history.

*******************************************************************************
          I've known my Dad's friend Danny my whole life. He worked with my Dad at the post office and was my first Little League coach. It just so happens that Danny is a St. Louis Cardinal fan so when McGwire's assault on Maris' record started to take shape, Danny had even more interest than the average baseball fan.
          One day that spring my Dad called to let me know he had landed three tickets to an upcoming game between the Cardinals and Brewers in Milwaukee. He shared that he and Danny were going and asked if I'd be interested in joining them. The word 'YES' was out of my mouth in about .3 seconds and soon thereafter it was settled: They would drive to Milwaukee from Aurora, IL and meet me at the game, as I'd be coming from Janesville, WI. Dad mailed me my ticket so I didn't have to wait for them to arrive.

*******************************************************************************
          I had a difficult time controlling my excitement while at school during the day of the game. When the work day finally ended I headed straight from school to Milwaukee. By the time I pulled into my parking spot at the ballpark after the 75 minute drive I was downright giddy! I was at the game!

          I was indeed at the game, but I was so early that the gates were yet to be opened to the public. I planted myself in line outside one of the entrances behind a half dozen others and waited. And waited. And waited.
         
          An hour plus later and my feet and back were killing me from standing the whole time and a certain percentage of excitement had drained from my being, but the pain seemed to magically disappear when I saw a couple of people unlocking and opening the gates. The long wait was over! My thoughts went through a checklist of sorts as the line started to move forward: Bathroom, concession stand, find my seat, kick back and eat/watch batting practice until Dad and Danny arrived. The excitement had returned! The wait outside the ballpark was painful, but I was convinced that this would all work out now that I was headed inside. Nothing but positives ahead on this night!

Or so I thought.

*******************************************************************************

          So there I was, inside the stadium with my little cardboard tray filled with a couple of hot dogs and a soda. I check my ticket and head toward the gate that will lead me to my seat. As I walk up the ramp I glance at the playing field for the first time that day. My heart rate and pace quicken as I simultaneously check row numbers and sneak more glances at the field.
         
          I arrive at my designated row and look up to find my seat, only to find my Dad now standing right in front of me! Before I can say anything he grasps my elbow and starts to guide me back down the steps, saying, 'Come on, we have to go.'
         
          Shortly thereafter I find myself being led out of the stadium just minutes after I ended the excruciating wait and entered. Confusion reigned in my mind but I continued walking because, well, he's my Dad and he was obviously distressed about something, although I had no idea why at this point in the evening.

          Soon I found myself walking past the very same spot I had stood for an hour plus just minutes beforehand. I saw that spot and stopped dead in my tracks, looked at Dad, and said with a sense of urgency, 'Just what in the heck is going on? Why are we out here?????'

          'We need to go get Danny. He's laying in a cemetery (Dad points to a spot in the distance). Let's get your van and go over and get him. Where'd you park?'
          On the walk to my van further conversation reveals that Dad and Danny had parked at a bar several blocks from the stadium, had a few drinks, and then decided to save money on parking and walk over to the ballpark. They took a direct route, cutting through fields until they came upon a low lying stone wall. Danny, in his excitement to get to the ballpark, ran ahead of Dad and vaulted himself up and over the knee high wall. However, on the other side of the wall the ground was a few feet lower and Danny landed awkwardly, crushing his left heel upon landing in what was a cemetery. Dad (smartly) peeked over the wall before going over and when he did, he saw his friend lying on the ground writhing in pain amidst the countless gravestones.
         
*******************************************************************************

          Dad and I weave our way through the parking lot and come to my van. It's immediately obvious to me that we won't be going anywhere with this vehicle anytime soon. There are tailgaters everywhere, grills humming, tents out, and people lounging in chairs in the open areas between cars. Dad grasps the problem too and says, 'Well, we'll have to walk over' as he points to a spot (uphill of course) in the distance that doesn't appear to be anywhere close to where we currently stood.

          So we head toward the cemetery on foot. It turns out to be at least a mile walk uphill and I can't help but notice the sounds of the ballpark fading from earshot behind me as we venture further toward our downed friend. I'm trying to be compassionate over his plight in my head, but I'm fighting it with thoughts such as, 'I just want to watch the game!' and 'We're going the wrong way!' going through my head as well.

          As we move toward the top of the hill my Dad says, 'He's just over the top here.' We come to the peak and look down at the cemetery below. It is every bit the scene of gravestones and flowers you're picturing in your mind, sans one important detail: Danny isn't there. I turn to my Dad and say, 'So...............you think they just cut to the chase and buried him?'

*******************************************************************************

          We're now standing in the cemetery. There isn't a Cardinals hat, jersey, no one playing Taps, not a sign of him anywhere in the graveyard. My Dad is bewildered and mumbling, 'He was right here!' It's obvious he doesn't know what to do next, so I walk over to a guy I see directing traffic on the adjacent road and ask him if he happened to see an overweight 50 something year old man dressed in Cardinal red from head to toe laying (above ground!) in the cemetery. The 20 something African American replies with, 'Aw yeah, I saw that guy. They just rolled him out of here in an ambulance a few minutes ago.'

          I sigh and say, 'Any idea where they would have taken him?' and he points to (another) far off spot in the distance and replies with, 'The Veterans' Hospital is up there. That's my best guess.'

          So on we trudge toward this hospital, not even really knowing if he's actually in the building. During this latest mile plus walk I hear cheers from the ballpark and realize the game is about to begin. I grit my teeth and trudge onward, thinking what I'd like to do to Danny's other heel if I had one of Mark McGwire's bats handy.

*******************************************************************************

          We arrive at a side door of the hospital. I push a button on an intercom and a voice says, 'Can I help you?' I have a fleeting thought of saying, 'Do you have a son of a b**** with a broken foot in there?' but I think better of it and ask if they have a guy named Dan (last name) inside. It turns out they do (even though he's not a veteran) and they buzz us inside.

          When I enter the hospital room I see Danny lying in bed with his leg propped up and wrapped in a cloth or cast of some sort. It becomes obvious he's drugged up when he sees us and says, 'Hey! Come on in you two! I have the game on right here!' as he nods toward a tiny television hanging from above. A doctor enters and shares that they've taken some X rays and are analyzing his heel. He adds that Danny won't be going anywhere for at least a couple of hours. After some awkward silence my Dad says, 'Do you want to go back to the game?' I don't know what else to say or do so I nod and we head back toward the stadium.

          My Dad and I can talk about baseball for hours. It's always been that way. This night however sees absolutely no interaction between us, despite the fact we're now sitting side by side (with a second set of tickets) at a major league baseball game. We're both reviewing the evening's events in our head while trying to watch the game. After McGwire flies out to the warning track to end the 7th inning he says to me the first two words we've shared inside the stadium since he said we had to go some two hours prior: 'Wanna go?' I did want to go. I wanted to go straight home, bury my head in my pillow, and forget this entire debacle of an evening.

*******************************************************************************

          The story ends with Danny begging to be released from the hospital with the promise that he'll go straight to the hospital in Aurora if they let him go. The doc reluctantly agrees but there of course had to be one more element to further ruin my evening. Danny is instructed to keep his leg elevated the entire drive. When he gets in the passenger seat of his pickup truck he discovers that the only way to follow that order is to have his foot sticking out of the window. So Dad and Danny end up taking my van back to Aurora, as he can sit in the back with his leg up and inside the vehicle for the long drive back home. Meanwhile, I'm driving back to Janesville in a pickup truck, which will be my sole mode of transportation until I get my van back. God only knows when that'll be.

          When I get home my wife says, 'How was the game?' and before I can answer she asks, 'Whose truck is that out front? Where's our van?' I just sigh and walk upstairs, mentally and physically exhausted.

It was the crappiest sporting event of my entire life.

*******************************************************************************

         

         

         

         


          

No comments:

Post a Comment