Wednesday, November 20, 2013

College on the horizon

     My son is a junior in high school. He is ranked #1 in his class and scored a composite score of 34 when he last took the ACT test back in May. He is, in short, an amazing young man.
     Today his mother and I met with his high school counselor to discuss his senior year class load and college planning. It was all a little overwhelming for both of us. There is a lot of financial aid paperwork in our near future, along with campus visits and more.
     It certainly doesn't feel like 16+ years ago when I held Eric for that first time. Watching him and his siblings grow has been my greatest joy in life and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact he'll be off to college in less than two years, quite possibly hundreds or even thousands of miles from home.
     Most people say to themselves, 'Where did the time go?' That question bounced around in my mind as Eric was telling the counselor about his preference to attend MIT or one of the Ivy League schools. Wasn't I just in college myself a few years ago? Now I'm helping my son plan for his post high school path and beyond. How can this be? 
     I've been fortunate to witness the landmark events in my children's lives. Baptism, the first steps, the first words, first day of kindergarten, the Little League games, the school awards, and the list goes on and on. Soon that list will add, 'First year of college' for Eric and two years after that for Ryan as well. 

     Perhaps typing this out is therapy for me. Perhaps it'll help me reach acceptance that this is all happening, that my babies are almost grown and that they will be leaving the nest soon. Perhaps I love them so much that the thought of all of this has me in tears. 

Tears of reflection that fall when thinking about this parenting journey. 
Tears of proudness triggered by knowing they are amazing people today.
Tears of joy that He has given me such incredible gifts.
Tears of sadness that their childhoods can't last forever.

Tears that say I love my children deeply, unconditionally, and forever.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment